This is my first post in the new domain :). And I would like to present the final report and presentation of Decentralize System (DS) project, which I posted the overview here.
We continued with the survey of Decentralized Storage Systems(DSS), and we ranked them based on these five following characteristics
- Availability (AV). Formal definition is fraction of system uptime and able to perform normally over the uptime + downtime. In the DSS context, it is usually reflected as degree of system resistance of churn and fault tolerance level that implemented by the system, and how easy and fast we can get file or data that we want.
- Scalability (SC). Ability of the system to be enlarged to accommodate its growth. In the context of DSS, it could be in term of number of nodes, number of messages exchanged, number of data stored in the storage system.
- Eventual Consistency (ECO). ECO is prefered than C, because Availability is more preferred and pure Consistency is not practical and expensive to achieve in term of required messages between nodes.
- Performance (P). Example of metrics that can be used to measure performance are response time to satisfy search request. We analyze whether the system put emphasize on it or not.
- Security (SE). Resistance into some degrees of attack or breach such as compromising data integrity and unauthorized data access by malicious node. Due to the nature volunteer computing, security is one of the important feature to attract volunteer and ensure data validity
We also identified the focus for each DSS that we survey as shown below. Continue reading Large-Scale Decentralized Storage Systems for Volunter Computing Systems – Final